NBIS seeks highly motivated professionals and students with skills and experience to bring to the advancement of our programs and organization. NBIS’ flagship regional program, By-Product Synergy NW, engages member companies in an interactive process that develops innovative uses for “waste” materials and establishes sustainability best practices.
This internship/volunteer position engages students and professionals in the following activities:
- Materials Working Groups: Helping to facilitate and organize materials working groups seeking to identify materials and resource exchange opportunities among member companies and in the region; providing innovative leadership on project and synergy development;
- Member meetings and special events: Helping to plan and providing logistical support and outreach activities for member meetings and the regional events;
- Materials Innovation Exchange website: developing and implementing activities to advance this pioneering web-based resource — outreaching to businesses for materials postings, helping to facilitate trades and sales, writing and publicizing case reports.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Knowledge of corporate culture and experience communicating with employees across levels and functions.
- Strong analytical skills; experience with data management and research.
- Work experience in industrial/manufacturing sector is a plus.
Time Commitment and Compensation:
Volunteers interested in this role are requested to make a minimum commitment of 4 hours a week. In recognition of this volunteer service and skills, NBIS offers a discounted membership package: a 1-year Enhanced Membership with NBIS at a Basic Membership rate. This offers additional benefits including deeper discounts (or free admission) to NBIS events such as the Breakthrough Sustainability Seminars, access to NBIS’ Sustainable Practices Peer Learning Roundtables (in development), consultation with the NBIS directors, and zero waste resources and assistance that are part of our By-Product Synergy program.
All NBIS volunteers are further rewarded through the mentorship, training and connections provided. Volunteers benefit from our reputation and network as we engage a wide community of businesses, professionals and partners. Working alongside our Executive Directors, Board members and other volunteers as part of our leadership team, you will make valuable contributions to developing and strengthening the NBIS network and its impacts.
Finally, internship credit is available for current students.
Application Process and Contact Information:
Please send a cover letter, resume and a relevant writing sample to Lexie Carr at lexiec[at]nbis.org.